Just to let you know that last Thursday, 21st May 2009, Operations Manager 2007 R2 180 day evaluation is available for download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=93ddf25b-1ef0-4851-81b0-5fb9a2f76181&DisplayLang=en . At the time of writing there is no full version download available from MSDB subscriber downloads.
So what is all the fuss about? Well the new version (which requires new licensing unless you have Server Management Suite Enterprise Licensing with Software Assurance) has the following enhancements:
- Improved stability and performance primarily for the Operations Manager 2007 console.
- Native cross platform monitoring of Unix and Linux.
- Improved notfication configuration.
- Process monitoring.
- Wild card service monitoring.
- Intregrated service level monitoring and reporting.
- The console is now black.
- Power consumption for each computer or for a group of computers with the power consumption management pack.
- Service Level Dashboard v2.0 which integrates with Sharepoint Services or MOSS 2007.
There are many more enhancements and over the next couple of weeks I will be writing a review. Documentation can be found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/opsmgr/bb498235.aspx . Also some new marketing datasheets - http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/operationsmanager/en/us/datasheets.aspx .
Some screenshots I quickly :-) captured: